I've had my Asterisk PBX offline for a while now for no good reason, so I decided I'd upgrade and put the latest Asterisk on my new machine. I wrote about the last time I installed, that was on an older AMD Athlon 1200MHz Thunderbird. It worked fine but I got a Linksys PAP2T-NA ATA and became very lazy. The ATA just registers with Les.net and I plug a phone in to it, so there's no need for Asterisk for just basic VOIP phone service.
I decided that I'd just use the ATA for a while then I got into some sound quality problems. I switched out many parts of the system trying to determine where the problem was but the best lead that I have so far is that my modem has issues. I'm not sure that the entire problem is with the modem but I do know that my Internet connection overall gets faster if I reboot it and that shouldn't be necessary.
Anyhow, voice quality issues apparently are common with VOIP and more people are using it anyway - the balance of features and cost is still in favour of VOIP. So I figure that if I get used to my system I can work the kinks out of it later. As time goes on and there are more users it should be easier to find help on my specifics too.
Today I want to revisit some of the work I did getting Asterisk 1.2 working and see what I have to do to get Asterisk 1.4 running. It's apparently not that different.