You might've guessed from the names in the example I gave the other day, getting Ant to process XSLT2 with Saxon, that I'm doing some sprite animation stuff. I am. And so far my output is in DHTML. The whole development isn't perfect yet, but I've got a simple DHTML sprite that seems to work. If you're not familiar with the term, a sprite is an animated block. Every time I hear the word it reminds me of myCommodore 128. Sprites on that machine could be set up by poking colour values into the right spots in memory, basically drawing out a bitmap. Sprites are basically just little raster images that are animated by replacing frames quickly.
Changing the document format to suit the browser means changing one output component, not the entire design.
I can include a lot more bloat in upstream documents since they don't have to be processed by the client.
There are some big disadvantages as well:
I have a build phase (and the accompanying issues with archival and deployment).
The only decent demo I have for today is the resulting animation (mouseover to start it up).
It doesn't look like much, but there's a lot of potential there. Since the graphic here was drawn in SVG then transformed by Batik into PNGs, I can use all the SVG that Batik supports. That includes filters for lighting and shadows (which I'll use once I get them to behave). With lighting it'll look more like this
This post has turned out to be more of a brain-dump, so I apologize if it doesn't all make sense, but I'll have more details coming on what I think is going to be a pretty decent toolchain for developing web-based games.